Monday 26 October 2009

Jamie Hewlett

As I've mentioned before I am not the biggest fan of illustration and I think I now know why. It seemed strange to me because I am an avid graphic novel reader, in fact I won't read much if it doesn't have pictures. Therefore I think the reason for my lack of interest is because in graphic design illustration isn't accompanied by an in depth story. There is always a motive behind the drawing and a reason why it has been created, I just don't like guessing what that is. I much prefer it when the illustrations are matched with an interesting dialogue. Besides from Daniel Clowes my favourite illustrator would have to be Jamie Hewlett. Famous, to most, for creating the first cartoon based music band; The Gorillaz. Personally its his earlier creation; 'Tank Girl' that I prefer.


Whether or not its the illustration or the character herself that I prefer, all I know is that they compliment each other perfectly. If Tank Girl were to be drawn by anybody else in any other style, it simply wouldn't work. As proven, in my opinion, by the recent release of 'Tank Girl: The Gifting', where Alan Martin worked with Rufus Dayglo and Ashley Wood instead of Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment