Friday 5 March 2010

Home Grown

Over the half term holidays we were told to visit some exhibitions and expand our knowledge of art. At the 'Urbis' gallery in Manchester there was a show on the world of rap and hip-hop. From the outset this seemed no use to me and I considered not going, however I am glad I did because I managed to capture some very interesting images. Around the exhibition was a lot of album art work, some of which was incredibly graphic and useful. Another useful aspect was the photography featured. There were a lot of portrait pieces but also a lot of street photography, something which would have been useful a few weeks ago in my digital photography elective.






The images above show some of the ways in which the exhibition was laid out that I particularly liked. It was as if the rooms flowed into one another, through the medium of the pictures on the walls. From the moment you walked up the stairs and saw the display board right in front of you, it was obvious what the show was all about and what was waiting in store. The use of collage and graffiti provided an interesting combination and something that now I know works, may look into in the future. Below are images of actual graphic design and photography that I saw and liked.




Photographers I discovered by visiting this exhibition include: Michael Antoniou, Jake Green and Will Robson Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment