Saturday 3 April 2010

Tron Vs. Saul Bass


This is a video I stumbled across on the video networking site Vimeo. I was instantly drawn in because it combines two of my favourite things: films and Saul Bass. I pretty much like everything about this video, from the accompanying music to the texture of the backgrounds. The type used is obviously hand rendered and then digitally designed using illustrator, something I like to do with fonts that I create. The simple, block illustrations are incredibly effective and the way in which the multicoloured lines appear across the screen are not only reminiscent of retro design, but also fit incredibly well within the fictional Tron universe.


Whilst browsing the artists page I came across an earlier project which was similar but instead combined the Saul Bass approach with the TV programme Lost. Again the music is very fitting, but this video it a bit more hit and miss than the other. Some parts work very well, like the zooming into the island at the end with the plane crashing into it, but I feel that the portraits of the characters do not work at all. All in all I like both attempts a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment