Thursday 13 May 2010

Anthony Burrill

I was told to look at the work of Anthony Burrill and was very pleased to have found a graphic designer whose work I can respect and relate to. His use of bold colours and image combined with minimal type is definitely an approach to graphic design that I am a fan of and would hope to produce myself. I like the pieces shown above as they are all very similar, with only a few differences in the depictions of New York. I really like the 'silhouette' feel you get from using solid blocks of colour, most probably in illustrator and how he has differentiated between the use of pink, red, blue, green and yellow. 


I also like the examples I found above. The images would not work on their own, however when you pair them with the type seen they are brought to life and work incredibly well. I see a distinct similarity with Saul Bass' ground breaking designs, especially with the hand in the third poster from the right. I also like the 'antique' feel to these designs, most probably done using simple effects on certain software. The only thing I don't love about this set is the colours used. Yes they work very well, but I find them a little dull and uninspiring, but then again maybe these pieces aren't meant to be inspiring and therefore they communicate the message greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment