Saturday 4 December 2010

Films and TV

I thought a good place to start this project would be by researching kinetic type. However there is so much out there I struggled to narrow it down. Therefore I have decided to start by just posting pieces that relate to my interests. This means that if I see a video that quotes one of my favourite films or TV programmes and feel the aesthetics are relatively good I will post it.

This first example shows an animated quote from the 1982 cult classic 'Blade Runner'. The quote is a very poignant one and perhaps the best know piece of dialogue from the entire film. In terms of the kinetic type I particularly like the panning out to reveal orion's constellation and the very clever way 'like tears in rain' has been portrayed. With the audio playing over the background, it is perfect.



This next one isn't necessarily the best designed but I couldn't resist posting a video that quotes the funniest TV programme of all time, no questions asked: Arrested Development. Out of the whole piece I would say that my favourite bit is actually the animated popcorn shrimp, so not actually type then.



The Big Lebowski is the next film to be given the kinetic type treatment. Again there are parts that work really well, then there are parts that look like they've been created by a complete beginner. The colour scheme is a little garish and could probably do with toning down, however I do like how John Goodmans's character 'Walter Sobchak' is portrayed in a large, bold font, almost overpowering his conversational partner.



This next piece of motion graphics is from the film Catch Me If You Can. It seems a lot more sophisticated than the rest, probably through the use of a serif font. This is clever because the film itself is   more high brow than the rest of the subject matter in my other videos. I like the use of minimal colour, in fact a very dark blue is the only thing that comes near to colour. Besides this it is entirely black, white and shades of grey.



A pretty different approach from the rest, this video actually uses video footage. However it is altered dramatically to fit within the constraints of a 'psychadelic' colour scheme. There are far too many fonts used in this video, one suggestion on how to fix this would be to use a different font for each character and keep it at that. I think it would feel a lot more professional if this was the case. I'm assuming everyone would know what programme this is from, if you don't then you are missing out.



The last video is from Stranger Than Fiction. I like the background used, it gives it an industrial feel, something that needs to be communicated in order for the dialogue to make sense. I also like the use of yellow text, which I would think has been inspired by traditional road markings. The scale of the text has also been used wisely: it increases significantly when one character is shouting and decreases when the other character is responding to the shouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment