Tuesday 12 April 2011

Media/Processes

In terms of media and processes that I have actually used up to this point, the number is quite small. After all I am not privy to large scale printing and more complex processes. However I do have an interest in all areas and would love to explore them further in the future. Below are the five most appropriate example of media/processes that I could think of.

Example 01: Digital Print
This is my go-to method of production, predominantly because it is the most accessible but also produces some of the most pleasing results. I chose the particular example of digital print below because of the great quality images I could collect, and how it gives a process that can often times seem clinical and flat a much more textured look. The description of the outcome details that it is a two colour print on brown stock. This implies a connection to screen printing, but shows that you can create artwork that stands off the page with digital processes also. I also like the use of geometric shapes and how by printing on a stock other than the colour white you can produce some really visually appealing designs. So far within my own work I create textures using stock photography and Illustrator, perhaps this an approach I could take from now on to create a more authentic feel. 





Example 02: Screenprint
I chose this particular example in direct juxtaposition to the example above. Whereas the digital print above has more of a textured and imperfect feel, the screen print outcome below has an almost perfect like quality with crisp lines and an incredibly 2D look, something that is a positive in this case. I not only chose it because it is similar to the above example due to the use of minimal colours and a non white stock, but also because of the pop culture reference. In total there are three posters on display, each one summing up key visuals from the first three seasons of Showtime's popular drama 'Dexter' (coincidentally one of my favourite programmes). I like the last image in the list as it shows how these two specially mixed colours have been used to create such great compositions, and therefore communicates just how complex your design can be with such limited supplies. This happens to be one of my favourite pieces of current graphic design, and I know that I would love to create something similar in my own work in the future.


Example 03: Limited Editions
Limited editions are a perfect way of summing up the type of work that I wish to work on in the future. Below are pieces of Tyler Stout's work designed for the Coen Brothers cult classic 'The Big Lebowski'. I love the idea of creating work that is 'rare' and 'collectible' with people craving the purchase of new items due to their limited availability. That might sound like I'm interested in the money collected from the sale of items, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The thing that appeals to me is the thought of an audience being genuinely interested in my designs. After all I know what it's like to want a collectible piece that you can spend days tracking down only to discover there's none left, or the closest one is on the other side of the world. To think that people could one day do that in search of my work is an incredibly humbling feeling and one that I hope to experience one day. 



Example 04: Publishing
At this stage I began to struggle with ideas for the context of my work, then I came across the designs below. They are a great example of subtle design, incorporated with publishing and promotion and also screen printed finish. They are alternative front cover designs for the series of 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' books. I love the use of negative space and retro inspired visuals, but most importantly what I love is the use of a different medium. Book design is something I had never considered, but when you think about it in terms of my other interests, which include film, TV and theatre, it fits in nicely. It's just another way of incorporating pop culture references and definitely something I will consider from now on.



Example 05: Editorial
Similar to the previous post, only slightly less illustrative and more type orientated. After attending my type elective sessions for the past few months I have gained a new respect for the subject matter, and have discovered that I actually like working with grids and text to create successful layouts. The example below combines my interest in type layout and the use of bold colours. From the looks of things this example has also been produced using traditional methods such as screen printing, another area of interest of mine. What I like about this particular example is the clever use of columns, imagery and sub headings, and I think given the opportunity I would have created something similar. 







No comments:

Post a Comment