Saturday 30 April 2011

Recent Movie Posters

I think since I have recently identified the areas of graphic design that I am really interested in, I should keep my context blog up to date with contemporary examples.  For example I have always had an interest in creating promotional posters for film releases; so below are three posters that are incredibly contemporary.

Title: Rubber
Release Date: 26 February 2011
Designer: Olly Moss
Synopsis: When Robert, an inanimate tire, discovers his destructive telepathic powers, he soon sets his sights on a desert town; in particular, a mysterious woman becomes his obsession.

My Opinion: I love this incredibly simple yet clever concept designed by one of my favourite artists; Olly Moss. The unique way the designer gives this inanimate object a personality by placing an eye in the centre is genius. I also like the typography choice as it reminds me of old grindhouse film posters, even more so because a texture has been added. This is perhaps my favourite film poster in a long while, and fits perfectly with the wild and wacky plot of the feature.

Title: The Bleeding House
Release Date: 20 April 2011
Designer: Unknown
Synopsis: A stranger with mysterious intentions comes to stay the night at a secluded country home, but what he finds inside is a family torn apart by a violent past and a secret more deadly than he expected.

My Opinion: This is amazing. The simplicity is overwhelming, yet the more you look the more you discover. At first glance I did not notice the woman inbetween the legs, and wondered what the transition from white to red represented. Then my eye followed the figure down to reveal the title, which implies the red represents blood. It's obviously inspired by Saul Bass, and carries on his legacy incredibly well.


Title: Hobo with a Shotgun
Release Date: 22 July 2011
Designer: Tom Hodge aka The Dude Designs
Synopsis: A homeless vigilante blows away crooked cops, pedophile Santas, and other scumbags with his trusty pump-action shotgun.

My Opinion: This is a fantastic interpretation of old school film poster design to create a contemporary piece. What's even more interesting is the story behind the designer choice and process which can be found here. I think what's so great about this design is the strength of each individual component from the type to the illustration, and bringing it together makes it just so visually strong. I would proudly display this on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment