Friday 21 May 2010

Tyler Stout

I've featured Tyler Stout on my blog before very briefly when mentioning the variations of film posters for one of my favourite films: 'The Warriors'. However recently I have found myself gravitating back to his work and some of his twists on traditional movie posters are personally the most exciting sort of illustration I have seen in a long time. I think what I like is that he manages to bring an approach similar to the one found on hundreds of b-list horror movies in the fifties and sixties. Personally I feel it is all in the composition and colour schemes. The titles are always placed at the bottom with illustrations, often of people, placed above. Below is a prime example of what I am trying to explain. This is his twist on the 2009 Tarantino feature 'Inglourious Basterds'. 
From the off-white tone seen behind the imagery right up to the combination of deep red and black for the lettering. Almost everything about this poster screams nostalgia and I, for one, absolutely love it. His website is full of all his other creations with some even available for purchase, if they haven't completely sold out that is. My other favourites of his include: The Big Lebowski, Blade Runner and Robo Cop.

No comments:

Post a Comment