Friday 8 October 2010

El Fuego del Catrina

El Fuego del Cantrina
Hot Sauce Kit Description

Student packaging project. Hot sauce kit includes "El Fuego del Diablo" hot sauce, fiery pepper rub, arbol chili peppers, and picante chili and lime marinade. Design inspired by the Mexican holiday, Día de los Muertos, Day of the Dead.

Package includes hand drawn logo, illustrations, and typography based off of wood cut printmaking and sugar skulls.

When the package is closed, a fire pattern wraps around the box. As the box is opened, there are multiple different ways to display the product inside, each creating a new pattern with the illustrations. There is a secret skull illustration that can be seen when the box is open at a diagonal.



This is a great example of mixing interesting packaging design with a mexican twist and of course practicality. The thought that has gone into it must be staggering for a skull motif to appear when it is opened in a certain way. I want to create some sort of packaging that relates to Mexican food so this has been a big inspiration for me. I'm not sure about the massive amounts of black in the designs but if it works for this designer then I guess I am not one to complain. I'm sure I will refer to this in the future if I find myself struggling in which direction to follow. I imagine that because it is a school project then it will have been digitally printed, however it if where a real product then a larger run would be necessary and offset lithography would probably be considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment